Every winter I discover a new soup that I make all the time and change it up until it becomes a delicious and totally nutritious meal for lunch or dinner. This winters soup would have to be this sweet potato and sweet corn chowder which is very satisfying and filling.
I love using sweet potatoes in my cooking, not only are they delicious and extremely good for you, I would also confidently call them a super skinfood They are packed with vitamins C and A and those components play a major role in fighting off aging and skin degeneration. As a matter of fact, these veggies happen to be a major source of those components as one medium-sized sweet potato accounts for a 100% of our daily requirements of vitamin A and 47% of the daily recommended vitamin C.
I also like to add Masons Mushroom Powder to my soups and just about everything as it’s a super-blend of nourishing medicinal mushrooms hand-picked to support immunity, gut health, hormonal function and the nervous system. Revered in ancient herbal traditions, these potent adaptogenic herbs boost vitality and encourage longevity.
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed
- 1/4 butternut pumpkin peeled & cubed
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 4 cobs sweet corn, kernels sliced off (or 2 corn cobs and 1/2 can of creamed corn)
- 4 cups vegetable or vegan chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder optional
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Masons Mushroom Powder
- Himalayan salt and fresh-cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup organically coconut cream or coconut yogurt
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to a soup pot with a splash of olive oil Cook until starting to soften.
- Add the sweet potato, pumpkin, capsicum and broth, bring to a light simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the sweet potato is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove about 2/3 of the soup and blend until smooth and creamy then pour back into the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in coconut cream rom yogurt. Serve right away. Delicious with flat bread made from my Buckwheat Pizza recipe Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.