Most people love pizza. All of your favourite things piled on a crispy base, what’s not to love? Answer: many people are either gluten intolerant or realise how much better they feel when they stay away from wheat. I am one of these people. I also love to make things that don’t take long and are full of nutrients which is why I started making this pizza base.
This base uses buckwheat which is actually a fruit seed, therefore gluten free. It is also a source of good carbs, low GI and B vitamin and mineral rich. The other great thing about buckwheat is that is high in rutin, a bioflavonoid which is very anti inflammatory and helps to aid against sun damage to your skin and blocks free radicals that prematurely age your skin. I like to think of buckwheat as being one of those foods that is so good for your insides, that it also is also beneficial for outside too!.
This recipe literally takes a minute to make once you have the hang of it and I make it all the time. Below is the recipe and I have also included a short clip of me making the base (after a very long day working in the workshop!)
Click here to watch the clip Making the buckwheat pizza base
1 minute buckwheat pizza base recipe
1 heaped cup buckwheat flour
1-2 Tbsp virgin olive oil
good pinch Himalayan salt or herb salt
enough water to bring together into a ball of dough
olive oil for tray.
1. Put flour, salt and olive oil into a bowl
2. Add a small amount of water & with a fork bring together, adding a bit more water until you have a nice dough consistency. If you add too much weather, add a little more flour.
3. Pour a couple of tbsp olive oil onto a pizza tray and spread it around with your fingers.
4. Press dough onto the tray in any shape you want, it’s meant to look rustic!!
5. Add toppings and place into a very hot preheated oven. I turn mine right up.
6. Pizza will be ready when cheese had slightly browned on top and side are crisp. I run a spatula underneath the pizza before cutting just in case some spots have stuck. Enjoy 😊