The humble orange is not only juicy and delicious, it also has a whole range of health benefits as well as having many positive effects on your skin. Not only does eating them give you a great boost of vitamin A and C, which your skin needs to be healthy, but the citric acid found in an orange’s juices can be used to exfoliate your skin which helps with acne. Basically, eating or juicing an orange a day keeps dull skin at bay!
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, which your body needs to make collagen. According to the Oregon State University’s Linus Pauling Institute, collagen is a structural component in your blood vessels, tendons and ligaments. However, it is also an important part of your skin. Collagen synthesis naturally slows as you age, and sun exposure over your lifetime can further impair its production, leading to skin damage. Eating a medium orange provides vitamin C and citric acid, both of which can stimulate collagen production. Vitamin C also protects cells from damage by free radicals which is one of the main causes of premature aging. Do yourself a favor and squeeze a couple of oranges into a glass to drink each day (organic or spray free is of course the best!). If you are feeling really adventurous, freeze some fresh juice ice cube trays and rub them on your skin to brighten dull and lack luster skin.
Oranges also contain high levels of vitamin A, which helps your skin protect your body from invading bacteria and viruses. According to the National Institutes of Health, vitamin A is used in acne treatments. Vitamin C also helps reduce skin swelling, which may reduce the appearance of pimples. The citric acid found in oranges is also part of the chemical group alpha acids, which are powerful exfoliators that remove dead skin cells and cleanse your pores, helping prevent acne.
- Oranges have a high content of citric acid which is effective in drying away acne. Orange peels contain a high amount of dietary fiber, which regulates bowel movements, thus eliminating harmful wastes and toxins from the body. This will prevent acne breakouts by getting rid of toxins.
- You can prepare a face mask by grinding orange peels to make a paste and apply it all over your face. This will not only keep acne at bay but also combat skin oiliness. With regular usage, you can see a visible reduction in pimples and its marks.
ORANGE PEEL, OATMEAL, TURMERIC AND BAKING SODA FACE MASK:
Mix 2 teaspoons of orange peel powder (dry orange peels without the white part in the sun for a few days then grind in blender or coffee grinder) with 1 teaspoon of oatmeal and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the mix. Add water or milk and gently stir the mixture to get a paste. Gently apply on the face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. This face mask if useful to get rid of acne and dead skin cells. Oatmeal exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells. Baking soda cleanses the skin and removes the impurities
Citric acid, part of the alpha hydroxyl acid group, is a key component in skin products that reduce wrinkles and soften your skin. Citric acid, found in oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits, is used in chemical peel products, which remove dead cells to make your skin look younger. Furthermore, when applied topically, vitamin C can increase skin hydration, which reduces wrinkles and adds to a youthful appearance.
The antioxidants vitamin A and C may also help reverse sun damage, protecting your skin from cancer and other negative effects. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, sun exposure breaks down vitamin A in your skin, leading to skin damage. However, an orange can help replace vitamin A and repair damage. Furthermore, vitamin C has been shown to build immunity to the sun in your skin. This helps to prevent damage from occurring in the first place.:
Treatment Of Dark Spots And Blemishes
- Orange peels have a higher content of vitamin C than the fruit itself. Instead of throwing away the peels, you can dry them in the sun and grind them to prepare orange peel powder. This can be used as a body scrub.
- You can mix the above scrub with milk and milk cream and apply it on your face. This will provide an instant glow to your face as well as reduce dark spots and blemishes on your skin.
A few of the health benefits of eating oranges are:
- They have been found to help prevent kidney stones
- Lower bad cholesterol
- Help prevent diabetes by regulating blood sugar
- Anti inflammatory so a glass of fresh juice a day helps with arthritis
- High in fire so aids digestion
- Vitamin C protects cells from damage by free radicals which can help fight cancer
- Fibers, Hesperidin and folate in Oranges keep your heart healthy.
- Folic acid present in Oranges helps in Brain growth development
- Vitamin C present in Oranges increases the production of white Blood Cells which further improves your immune system.
- Flavonoids and polyphenols in Oranges help you fight viral infections.
- Calcium rich Oranges help you maintain healthy bones and teeth.